Monday, April 30, 2012

We All Need a Julia Sugarbaker in Our Lives

Lately I've found myself re-watching old episodes of 'Designing Women'.  For those of you born in the 1980's who don't know what I'm talking about, all I can say is go get a little pop culture knowledge please.  I was born in the late 70's and I still know references to that decade and before.  Okaaaay?

Anyway, I've always found the character of Julia Sugarbaker to be quite fascinating, as she was ever the lady, but could rip you to pieces with a few well chosen words.  (True characteristics of any great lady.  This is something you will also find in drag queens. Although, from my experience, they tend to be a bit more vulgar; but still, ladies none the less).  I was also surprised to learn that the actress who gave life to her, Dixie Carter, was a Republican, mainly because the character was so very Liberal.  (I'm not knocking on Republicans.  I know some and I adore them.  We recognize that we have different beliefs and that's okay.  Although, we do spend time trying to convert each other.)

Where was I?  Oh right, Julia Sugarbaker.  She was so quick to tear apart, um, er, educate those who spoke from ignorance.  She would jump to the defense of her friends and family with such force and gusto and eloquent wit, that it would make one laugh and think at the same time.  We all need a little of that in our lives.  Our own personal verbal terminator.  Minus the 80's shoulder pads, of course.